Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Class Report

Thanks to the entire DBC family for once again graciously allowing me to spend a week away to continue my studies at Dallas Theological Seminary. Every time I go, it's the same pattern - by Tuesday, I'm convinced that I'm doing everything wrong in ministry, but by Friday, I feel like I can now do it a little better. This last week was no exception.

The class was taught by perhaps the most celebrated preaching professor in evangelical circles in the U.S. - Haddon Robinson, who currently teaches at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary. Dr. Robinson is a former DTS student, and was on faculty with them years ago before he left to become the president of Denver Seminary, and then later to Gordon Conwell to teach preaching ("homiletics").

Dr. Robinson conducted the class in a very different manner than I expected, but in a much better way. We had students from all over the U.S., and one from India, and we had a great time working together on properly analyzing passages and developing meaningful sermon outlines. Dr. Robinson spent the last two days just spouting all kinds of preaching wisdom.

I told the class on Friday that my next sermon will likely be my worst! That's because I'll be adjusting, trying to incorporate what we've learned into my own preaching. That will take some time to assimilate and make my own. Lord willing, I'll become a much better teacher of God's Word.

Thanks again for allowing me the time to pursue my studies. This was my last class. All that's left is the hard part: developing my thesis project and writing it up. Piece of cake!

No comments: