Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A good use for Twitter?

For a long time, I've failed to see the value of the microblogging service Twitter (http://twitter.com). People have used it to chronicle their day, but I'm not necessarily interested in what you are buying at the grocery store, thank you very much. Athletes and stars have used it to communicate with their fans, but I don't find what stars are buying at the grocery store particularly interesting, either.

But then I came across a statement from Rick Warren, who was in turn referring to a comment by John Piper. These well-respected pastors have been using Twitter not to record what happens during their day, but the various thoughts they have on Scripture, theology, and good Christian literature. Now that sounded interesting and valuable to me.

My only problem is that my thoughts are usually not all that deep!

What I've decided to do is "tweet" various thoughts that come to mind as I prepare for the upcoming sermon, or prepare for the youth Bible study, or even ideas that come to mind during my Quiet Time. I figure that even if no one else benefits from it, it does me some good to put the thoughts into writing and find a concise way to say it. I've enjoyed some benefit from it already, and hardly anyone is "following" me on Twitter.

If you want to follow, you can do it two ways - with a Twitter account and without. With a Twitter account, just search for "ColbyKinser" and start following. You can then follow those tweets online or on your mobile phone. Without a Twitter account, use a browser to visit http://twitter.com/ColbyKinser.

You can also follow other people, like Piper and Warren. Just search for people that might be tweeting interesting ideas. I'm just beginning to start my collection of interesting tweeters.

The tweeting also relates to what I blogged about last week, creating the video "Question of the Day." See the blog for Aug 26 for information about the QOD.

No comments: